Hans. Booby! I'm your white knight.


I love a good bad guy. Villains just make a good story great. They are that external force of antagonism that just digs and digs, pushing our hero to the brink. I get all giddy seeing a kick-ass villain introduced into a cool story. My mind races to the end with all these thoughts of a climactic battle where this bad dude is going to get his. I'm sure you do, too. So, why am I writing about it? Well, I've found myself reading something over and over again, admiring the execution of how two villains are introduced. I'm talking, of course, about Hazel and Cha-Cha, those two, sugar-induced, Girl Scout cookie-loving killing machines from Gerard Way's fantastic The Umbrella Academy .

In the second issue of the story Dallas, we are introduced to these two sociopaths in one of the most disturbing, and perfectly constructed ways. It's an extended scene that spans over a discussion of delicious apple pie and Girl Scout cookie etiquette to a final kill order from an unseen mastermind. We quickly learn these two nut jobs are killers for hire, but, they have no qualms about killing for the pure thrill of it. This disturbing character trait is revealed to chilling perfection in these opening pages. In this scene alone they forget the reason why they have tortured two innocent diner workers, which was to obtain the secret recipe for their delicious apple pie. The scene is so creepy but so perfectly constructed, I've found myself re-reading it, admiring how these two freaky, cartoon head-wearing villains are brought to life. Of course, they get what they deserve in the end, and the way that is done is even cooler then their introduction. So, if you haven't checked out The Umbrella Academy, pick yourself up a copy, and if you have, well I'm sure you'll all agree with me when I say I can't wait to see what happens next to this awesome family.

So, those are my thoughts for today. Who are some of your favorite villains? I'd love to hear. Until next time...

0 comments:

Post a Comment